Trenance Farm Cottages

Mullion, Helston, Cornwall

tel: 00 44 (0)1326 240 639

Holiday Cottages in Cornwall
Holiday Cottages in Cornwall
Holiday Cottages in Cornwall
 3 to 4 stars
 3 to 4 stars

child friendly


Countryside Code

An example of a tolerant plant found on outcrops of serpentinite is the cornish heather (Erica vagans, RDB) which in Great Britain is restricted to the Lizard and grows only on soils overlying serpentinite and gabbro.

Local History

The Lizard Peninsula has a rich history from ancient times up to the modern day, several historic events of both national and international significance having taken place here. There is evidence of human settlement on the Lizard since Mesolithic times. Extensive woodland clearance during the Bronze Age led to the expansion of the heathlands, which were used as rough grazing for cattle and as a source of fuel until the early 20th century.

Some historic events of both national and international significance have taken place on the Lizard. The mining of soapstone along the Soaprock Coast contributed directly to the birth of the English porcelain industry with the production of the first tableware to be able to withstand boiling water. The first ever inter-continental radio transmission was sent from Poldhu to Canada on the 12th December 1901 and the first inter-continental moving picture transmission of a live United States televison broadcast was received here in July 1962. Titanium was discovered in Manaccan in 1791.

Visit this link to read about a pilgrimage to the discovery of Titanium.
A Pilgrimage to the Discovery of Titanium.

Move your mouse over the labels on the map below for information about local history.
Some labels have multiple images.
 Helston Stannary Town


All modern thoroughbreds trace back to three stallions imported into England from the Middle East in the late 17th and early 18th centuries: the Byerley Turk (1680s), the Darley Arabian (1704), and the Godolphin Arabian (1729).
 Helston Stannary Town


King of the Wind (Marguerite Henry, 1949). The novel is a fictionalised biography of the Godolphin Arabian. Sham, an arabian stallion, and his stable boy Agba, travel from Morocco to France as a gift from a Sultan to the King of France. But it is in England where, at last, Sham's majesty is recognized and he becomes the "Godolphin Arabian", an ancestor of the Thoroughbred racehorses.

 Godolphin House


Beautiful and romantic historic house and garden, where time has stood still, giving the house, garden and surrounding estate buildings a haunting air of antiquity and peace. The garden is largely unchanged since the 16th century. The house seen today is a remnant of a far larger building that was the home of the Godolphin family until the middle of the 18th century. The Godolphins, who made their wealth from the local tin-mining industry, were one of the leading families of west Cornwall.
 Helston Stannary Town


All modern thoroughbreds trace back to three stallions imported into England from the Middle East in the late 17th and early 18th centuries: the Byerley Turk (1680s), the Darley Arabian (1704), and the Godolphin Arabian (1729).
 Helston Stannary Town


Two of the best known undersea mines, Wheal Trewavas and Wheal Prosper, offer a unique glimpse into how treacherous mining could be. Trewavas, which seems to burst out of the cliff edge, is particularly inspiring. Perched precariously on the cliffs to the east of Trewavas Head are the two engine houses that form the remains of Wheal Trewavas mine. The mine worked four copper lodes which ran in a south easterly direction under the sea bed.
 Helston Stannary Town


Bob Fitzsimmons holds a unique place in boxing history. He was the first boxer ever to win three world championship divisions - at Middleweight, Light-Heavyweight and Heavyweight. His story began in Cornwall , born in Helston, in 1872 he emigrated with his family to New Zealand. They settled in Timaru and Bob eventually became a blacksmith in his brothers workshop.
 Helston Stannary Town


Famous for its Flora Day festival, the ancient market and Stannary town of Helston is perhaps least changed of all Cornwall's main towns. You'll get a sense of bygone times just by wandering the streets and cobbled alleyways of the town.
 Henry Trengrouse


Henry Trengrouse was born in Helston in 1772. A witness to the appalling loss of life on the Royal Navy 44 gun frigate `HMS ANSON` which had been driven ashore on the Loe Bar in 1807, when Captain Lydiard and about 100 persons were drowned. He set about and devised a method to save life by means of a rocket and line fired from the shore to a vessel in distress. Many thousands of lives have been saved using the rocket and line.
 Halliggye Fogou


The fogou at Halliggye is probably the most impressive of those surviving today. Roofed and walled in stone, this complex of passages is the largest and best-preserved of several mysterious underground tunnels associated with Cornish Iron Age settlements. The purpose of such 'fogous' - a Cornish-language word meaning 'cave' - is unknown. Refuges, storage chambers or ritual shrines have all been suggested.
 Marconi Monument


This Sherlock Holmes short story was written by British author Arthur Conan Doyle whilst he was staying at the former Poldhu Hotel in 1909.
 Marconi Monument


On 12 December, 1901 Marconi proved that radio waves could bend round the planet by transmitting the letter "S" from his Poldhu Station, near this monument, to his temporary radio receiver and antenna in Newfoundland.
 Marconi Monument


In 1923 and 1924, pioneering shortwave experiments were conducted from Poldhu Station.
 Marconi Monument


On 12 December, 1901 the radio receiver on Signal Hill (on the left of the photo above) at St Johns in Newfoundland received the signal transmitted from Poldhu. At 12:30 PM local time Marconi heard the signal, the three clicks of the letter "s". According to accounts of the history making event, he handed the earphone to his assistant, Kemp, and asked "Do you hear anything, Mr. Kemp?" Kemp heard a few sequences of three dots before they faded back into the background noise.
 Wheal Unity


About a mile inland from Mullion Cove the Wheal Unity Mine was worked for native copper from at least 1760. One piece of native copper found here weighing 15 cwt was sent to the Great Exhibition of 1851. The metal bore had the appearance of having been poured in a melted state into the crevices of the rocks, and it had the lustre of a new copper coin. A large copper boulder from the mine is now in the Natural History Museum, London.
 Wheal Unity


In the mid 1700's The Soaprock Coast was an important industrial landscape contributing directly to the birth of the English porcelain industry. Soapstone porcelain was first made in Bristol in 1748, later the Bristol factory was taken over to become Royal Worcester which also took over the licence to quarry soapstone at Gew-Graze "Soapy Cove". The Soaprock Coast runs from Mullion Cove in the North to Caerthillian Cove in the South.
 Predannack Airfield


RAF Predannack Down was opened in 1941. During the Second World War Coastal Command squadrons flew anti-submarine sorties into the Bay of Biscay as well as convoy support in the western English Channel using aircraft such as Bristol Beaufighters and De Havilland Mosquitoes. It is now a satellite training airfield for nearby RNAS Culdrose.
 Kynance Gate


The remains of an ancient settlement is divided into two main groups of dwellings. The northern group has five detached round houses standing on artificial terraces. The southern group is clustered around a natural rock outcrop and consists of eight huts connected by an irregular ring wall. Bronze Age hearths and pottery, were found here, indicating that the Early Iron Age settlement is on a Middle Bronze Age.


The Spanish Armada was first sighted off The Rill, north of Kynance on July 19, 1588. Sporadic fighting occurred over the next two weeks with the largest English attack coming on August 8, off Gravelines, Flanders. After the battle, the English pursued the Armada until August 12, when both fleets were off the Firth of Forth.
 Lizard Lighthouse


At the most southerly tip of mainland Britain sits the twin-towered Lizard lighthouse. Cornwall's first lighthouse was built on the headland in 1619. The present lighthouse was commissioned in 1752 and for over 250 years has provided a welcoming landfall light to mariners crossing the Atlantic Ocean, bound for the English Channel.
 Marconi Wireless Station


As they pass these two dark wooden huts along the coastpath from Lizard Lighthouse, few passers-by would realise that one of them is the oldest surviving wireless station in the world. A signal sent from the Isle of Wight almost 200 miles away was received here on 23 January 1901 by Guglielmo Marconi. This signal was the fore-runner to the historic Transatlantic signal sent from Poldhu Cove on the 12th of December of that year.
 Bass Point


In 1994, when two Cornish fishermen lost their lives within sight of the empty Coastguard lookout at Bass Point, a group of local people decided to set up an organisation to restore visual watches along the UK coast. The National Coastwatch Institution was born and the first station to open was at Bass Point in December 1994.
 Lloyds Signal Station


The signal station is situated east of Lizard Lighthouse on Bass Point at the eastern end of Housel Bay. In the early 19th century most ships would have had no means of communication with the shore, possibly for months at a time, until they were near enough to the land to send semaphore messages that could be relayed to their destination ports by a signal station such as this one.
 The Lizard Lifeboat Station


The Lizard lifeboat station was founded in 1859 and was originally sited at Polpeor, Lizard Point. In 1959 the station moved to its present location in Kilcobben Cove and after 50 years service has just been rebuilt to house the new Tamar class lifeboat.
 The Lizard Lifeboat RNLB ROSE


The Lizards new Tamar class all-weather lifeboat RNLB Rose being launched from the slipway, she arrived on station on Sunday 10th July 2011. The Tamar is the newest class of ALB in the RNLI fleet. Designed to be launched from a slipway, the Tamar can also lie afloat.
 Goonhilly Satellite Station


The first dish, Antenna One (dubbed "Arthur"), was built in 1962 to link with Telstar. It was the first open parabolic design and is 25.9 metres in diameter and weighs 1,118 tonnes. Arthur received the first live transatlantic television broadcasts from the United States via the Telstar satellite on July 11, 1962. It is now a Grade II listed structure and is therefore protected.


Lankidden cliff castle lies on an impressive headland on the south Cornwall coast approximately one and a half kilometres east of Kennack Sands. At this point the natural serpentine of the Lizard area is cut by a thick dyke (or sheet) of hard crystalline Gabbro which terminates in the rugged stack at Carrick Luz, whose name translated from the Cornish means grey rock.


The coastal path to the south of Coverack follows the line of Chynalls Cliff, a rugged coastal slope with craggy outcrops that falls away to the rocky foreshore below. A cliff castle is sited on Chynalls Point at a place where the underlying serpentine rock, reinforced by a series of basalt dykes, forms a jutting rocky promontory.


South of St Keverne and west of lowland Point is a remarkably complex archaeological landscape. West of Lowland Point, on the very edge of a low crumbling cliff lie the remains of a small oval stone-walled structure which houses the remains of a salt-making operation dated to the early Romano-British period. The walls of the building enclose a hollow area containing the remains of two ovens with stone lined flues.


The Cornish Rebellion of 1497 set off from St Keverne with local Smith Michael Joseph An-Gof leading his men east to meet up with lawyer Thomas Flamank in Bodmin. Their aim was to seek justice against the unfair taxation imposed by the King in London. There is a plaque commemorating the rebellion on the wall of St Keverne churchyard written in both Cornish and English, as well as a statue to the two leaders on the approach to St Keverne village.


Titanium was discovered in 1791 by the English clergyman William Gregor (1761-1817). Gregor was not a professional scientist, but studied minerals as a hobby. He attempted a chemical analysis of the mineral ilmenite and found a portion that he was unable to classify as one of the existing elements. He was later accredited with the discovery ot Titanium.
 Titanium Discovery


Two plaques commemorate the discovery of Titanium. One in Manaccan Church, famous for it's fig tree growing out of the wall. The second plaque is at Tregonwell Mill close to Manaccan at the place where Titanium was discovered.
 RNAS Culdrose


RNAS Culdrose delivers highly capable Helicopter Squadrons specialising in Anti-Submarine Warfare, Anti-Surface Warfare and Airborne Surveillance and Control. The Search and Rescue Squadron is on constant standby 365-days a year to react to emergencies throughout the Southwest region. Its red and grey helicopters can be seen braving all types of weather responding to calls for help on land and sea.
 Frenchmans Creek


Frenchman's Creek is a 1941 historical novel by Daphne du Maurier. It tells the story of a love affair between an English lady and a French pirate. Lady St. Columb, makes a visit to Navron, her husband's estate in Cornwall, in a fit of disgust with her shallow life in London court society. There she finds that the property, unoccupied for several years, is being used as a base by a notorious French pirate who has been terrorising the Cornish coast. She finds that the pirate, Jean-Benoit Aubery, is a more educated and cultured man than her own doltish husband, and they fall in love.

The nearby coinage town of Helston was a major centre for tin during the Middle Ages, and required fuel for smelting. This was obtained by cutting and burning turf and peat, and between the 16th and 19th centuries by coppicing the woods around the Helford Estuary to make charcoal.

Peat was cut and burnt in "turf huts", the remains of which are scattered all over the Lizard, to form "peat charcoal", used for smelting tin in the 14th century. Heathland turf was used for both domestic and industrial fuel. Local landowners made fortunes by selling "rights of turbary". The net impact of this land use was the removal of almost all the topsoil of the Lizard heathland at some point in history.

Cornish Stannary Towns

The English word stannary is derived from the Middle English stannarie, which came from the Latin stannaria, meaning "tin mine", and stannum, meaning "tin". The principal role of a stannary town was the collection of tin coinage, the proceeds of which were passed to the Duchy of Cornwall or the Crown. With the abolition of tin coinage in 1838 the principal purpose for coinage town status ceased. However coinage towns still retained certain historic rights to appoint stannators to Cornwall's Stannary Parliament.

The towns at which coinage was carried out in Cornwall varied over time, including: Truro, Helston, St Austell, Bodmin, Liskeard and Lostwithiel. Whilst the Lizard area itself was never a major mining area, the Tregonning and Trewavas Mining District west of Helston was the largest of the ten Cornish mining areas.

Areal View of Trenance From the nearby Tregonning and Trewavas Mining District two great houses and their estates – Godolphin and Trevarno - provide a valuable insight into the wealth of some of Cornwall’s most successful industrialists and mine owners. From the wealth of the Goldolphin Estate came the Godolphin Arabian. All modern Thoroughbreds trace back to three stallions imported into England from the Middle East in the late 17th and early 18th centuries: the Byerley Turk (1680s), the Darley Arabian (1704), and the Godolphin Arabian (1729).

Helston Flora Day - Furry Dance - 8th May

The Furry Dance takes place every year on May 8, and is one of the oldest British customs still practised today. The dance is very well attended every year and people travel from all over the world to see it: Helston Town Band play all the music for the dances. The Furry Dance takes place every year on May 8 (or the Saturday before if May 8 falls on a Sunday or Monday). In Helston, May 8, the Feast of St. Michael, is called Furry Day., and the word probably derives from Cornish: fer, "fair, feast".It is a celebration of the passing of Winter and the arrival of Spring. The schedule of the day is thus: morning dance at 7 a.m., Hal-an-Tow pageant at 8 a.m., children's dance at 10 a.m., midday dance at noon, and evening dance at 5 p.m.. Of these, the midday dance is perhaps the best known: it was traditionally the dance of the gentry in the town, and today the men wear top hats and tails while the women dance in their finest frocks. Traditionally, the dancers wear lily of the valley, which is Helston's symbolic flower. The gentlemen wear it on the left, with the flowers pointing upwards, and the ladies wear it upside down on the right.

Cornish Steam Engine Heritage - Camborne Trevithick Day

Trevithick Day is held in Camborne in late April each year and includes street dances and a steam parade. Trevithick's Dance, for adults dressed in the traditional Cornish colours of black and gold, dances in procession behind Camborne Town Band. The Steam Parade leaves Basset Road and the engines steam along Church Street, down Wellington Road and Trelawney Road, then up (Camborne Hill) Tehidy Road.

The History of Cornwall

The links below provide more information on the history of Cornwall.

Link web sites.
Historic Cornwall
Historic Cornwall Flying Past